Join Our Team
We've got a great mission, vision for the future, well-researched curriculum and nice buildings. But none of that matters if we don't have a passionate, talented, Christ-centered staff. The only way we will move the needle for kids, is with the right team in place. That's why we're looking for the best, the brightest, the most talented people. Because our kids deserve nothing less.
As a part of the LUMIN school network, our motto is to make a ridiculous investment in people. We will train you. We will support you. We will celebrate you. And we will reward you for a job well-done. But quite frankly, nothing we can do will top the hugs you'll get from your young scholars or hearing a student say, "I love you." The work is challenging, but the rewards are priceless. Not many people get to say, "I changed a life today."
Who We're Looking For
By now you know we're setting the bar pretty high for our staff, but here's a little more detail about what were looking for.
Christians. We are a Lutheran network of schools. You don't have to be Lutheran, but all of our teachers are Christian. We put Christ at the center of everything we do. Our teachers model Christian behavior in the classroom and in their personal lives. Doing so helps students understand this is a way of life, not just a class.
Growth mindset. You may be new to teaching or rich with experience. Either way, we are looking for people who are always striving to be better. We provide A LOT of professional development and coaching. In fact, you may want to check out our Teacher Advancement Plan. Ultimately, if we want our students to thirst for knowledge, we need to show them what that looks like.
Team players. You probably know the common saying, "It takes a village to raise a child." Think of what it takes to educate hundreds of children! We'll never tell you this work is easy, but it's easier, and a whole lot more enjoyable, when you are part of a supportive and caring team.
Joy. When you walk into a room, what vibe are you bringing with you? Among other things, we hope it's joy. Joy to be alive, joy for teaching, joy for learning and joy for the simple blessings that can be found in every day if you look hard enough.
Patience & Perseverance. It's fairly common at some point in his/her first couple of years for a teacher to think, "Maybe I'm not cut out for this." Like everything in life, starting something new is challenging. But stick with it! With coaching, practice, coffee/chocolate, hard work, and you guessed it - patience - you'll figure it out. Not only that, you'll feel your own personal growth and see the reflection of that growth in your students.
So you're interested in joining the team. Now what?
1. Look for open positions that interest you. (If you don't see any openings, that's okay. We are always looking to meet qualified candidates. Reach out to our Head of School, Stephanie Reeves, to set up an informational interview.)
2. Read our job descriptions to get an accurate depiction of the position we're hiring for.
3. Apply. Fill out our online application. Have your resume and cover letter ready to upload. Pro Tip: You only need to apply once; simply include all of the positions that interest you in the required field and cover letter. You can also apply through WECAN.
4. Wait. This might be the hardest part. Our HR team screens all applications, and then reaches out to those who seem like the best fit.
Title 1 Paraprofessional
2020-2021 Open Positions
- Teacher's Aide (Full-time)
- Title 1 Teacher (will work at ALCS, but be employed by Gary Community Schools Corporation)
- Title 1 Interventionist or Paraprofessional (will work at ALCS, but be employed by Gary Community Schools Corporation)